[ccwg-internet-governance] UN to form cybercrime committee in move opposed by US, EU

Bartlett Morgan bartlett.morgan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 16:39:21 UTC 2019

This is terribly intriguing.

As most of you following the space know - the BRICS countries have
generally been anti-Budapest Convention for a while. The gist of the
opposition is that a bunch of Europeans can't sit together in a closed
room, agree a treaty and expect the rest of the world to simply fall in
line.

Russia sponsoring this, therefore, isn't surprising by itself since
they've always said that a convention rooted in the UN is the true
global response to cybercrime issues. What is interesting is that only a
few weeks ago, Brazil appears to have broken rank with the rest of BRICS
and declared an intention to accede to the Budapest Convention. See
here:
http://www.itamaraty.gov.br/en/press-releases/21149-accession-process-to-the-budapest-convention-joint-note-by-the-ministry-of-foreign-affairs-and-the-ministry-of-justice-and-public-security

I am now left to wonder whether Russia suddenly rushing to do this isn't
them realising that they need to put their money where their mouth is or
risk further defections within the ranks of their allies.