[ccwg-internet-governance] [Ext] Re: UN to form cybercrime committee in move opposed by US, EU

Veni Markovski veni.markovski at icann.org
Mon Dec 30 13:47:39 UTC 2019

Olivier, it has made the news in November:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/the-us-is-urging-a-no-vote-on-a-russian-led-un-resolution-calling-for-a-global-cybercrime-treaty/2019/11/16/b4895e76-075e-11ea-818c-fcc65139e8c2_story.html

and

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/un-votes-to-advance-russian-led-resolution-on-a-cybercrime-treaty/2019/11/19/fb6a633e-0b06-11ea-97ac-a7ccc8dd1ebc_story.html

Also, Mark Raymond and Justin Sherman wrote an oped: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/12/04/un-passed-russia-backed-cybercrime-resolution-thats-not-good-news-internet-freedom/

Deputy-Assistant Secretary of State, Rob Strayer, also talked about the resolution during a conference in December in Washington, which I attended, and asked him couple of questions on that subject.
As I am offline for the holidays, so I just again kindly ask you to wait for a few days, and enjoy the holidays with family and friends; we can come back to it in January with some analysis. Government Engagement team has been following the developments closely.

v/