[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG IG: ITU-D SECTOR MEMBER APPLICATION

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Mon Mar 4 22:51:12 UTC 2019

Marilyn cc as above

Good afternoon; apologies for this late reply, I was away at weekend.

As have noted we can outline further information on ITU-D application process and associated Board discussions at the CCWG IG session at ICANN 64 should this be considered appropriate.

As for the overall Government Engagement strategy; you recall this was discussed by the CCWG IG in a meeting with the Board WG in ICANN 60.  Essentially; engagement, whether it be with the UN, IGO, IOs or other bodies, is based on a three-layer model.  Category 1 is where the activity of process directly impinges on ICANN Mission (such as some issues at ITU); Category 2 where ICANN role is in general support and collaborative engagement along with other players, such as at IGF; and finally, Category 3 which concerns selective engagement (such as with initiatives like the UN HLP or the Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace).

The recent announcement of a draft Charter (for ICANN Engagement with Governments and Standard Bodies), see link below, compliments the above approach.

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/proposed-org-engagement-govt-standards-charter-25feb19-en.pdf

best

Nigel