[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG IG: ITU-D SECTOR MEMBER APPLICATION

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 23:27:17 UTC 2019

Thanks so much, Nigel.

I really appreciate seeing this.

In my view, it is much too narrow in its interpretation of threats and where ICANN needs to be engaged. And to take input and consultation with the broader ICANN Community.

If I, and others from business and others had followed this approach, frankly, ICANN would not even existed, as without the business community and broader technical communities' engagement and in understanding that technical standards also have policy implications and political risks, the weird and narrow approach of the gTLD-MOU, with 7 board members three of whom were from governmental entities could have carried the day.

It is not only "proposals" that present threats and risks to ICANN's integrity and core functions, but also activities and events. I was surprised not to see that included.

I support the idea that following standards setting work, and selected legislation with implications, but, I find this document in need of improvement to also address how engagement with influential bodies happens, and how the community, through the CCWG-IG, can provide input.

I also think that a continued focus on just the I*s misses the point that for technical matters, this is extremely important, that is simply not sufficient in our new world.

I didn't even see a reference to the possible implications of the UN proposals on CS work; or the implications of the UN HL Panel on Digital Cooperation.

I have huge respect for the existing I*s, but that misses other influential and potentially supportive technical entities, such as the IEEE.  It also misses that as a multi stakeholder entity, ICANN needs to engage also with other communities, not only the technical community.

We are all aware that engagement is underway. What we are asking for is to have more transparency, and to accept that the broader ICANN Community, via the CCWG-IG can add value and benefit to ICANN's success.

Finally, can someone explain the reference : jurisdictions where ability to provide information on impact is limited...

ICANN is a 501(c)3. So, cannot engage in significant amounts of  lobbying activities. I agree,

BUT, is someone saying ICANN Org can't provide factual information in briefings and via posted materials?  I do look forward to talking to ICANN legal about that interpretation.  😊that was a joke. I am too busy to spend time with ICANN legal.  Instead, let's just invite them to the f-f of the CCWG-IG and they can help clarify this.

Thanks again. As this is the proposed charter, we need to consider it quite critically, my view.

Marilyn