[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG IG: ITU-D SECTOR MEMBER APPLICATION

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Mar 8 17:05:22 UTC 2019

Nigel and Marilyn,

Thank you for the postings on this topic. I would like to offer some
meta-level comments on the issues at play here.

The scope and complexity of global Internet governance has reached the
stage where ICANN is yet another stakeholder in deliberations and policy
making. It has to figure out how to be engaged at that level. It will
have to be engaged in deliberations in multiple bodies, and that will
pose a multifaceted challenge to ICANN. The first is: Engagement with
what bodies (UN, IGO and IO orgs)? The second is: What sort of engagement?

The proposed org engagement charter describes the bare bones of an
engagement strategy process based on providing technical information on
the “ICANNImpact”.  However, it leaves open a crucial third challenge:
Within ICANN's multistakeholder model, how is the process accountable in
terms of what is being provided as technical information input?

There is a complication here in that ICANN's operations, including the
positions taken by the board and the staff on behalf of the corporation,
derive their legitimacy from the ICANN stakeholder engagement and policy
making process (PDPs, etc.). How is the decision to be made that
determines that "technical information" provided is consistent with
policy and the policy making process within ICANN's multistakeholder
process? I realize that this is a complicated question, but I do not see
how it can be ignored without seriously eroding ICANN's legitimacy as a
multistakeholder organization.

I may be missing something here and would appreciate some discussion on
this issue (/and passing this on if I am not on the
ccwg-internet-governance) list/.

Sam Lanfranco

On 3/4/2019 5:51 PM, Nigel Hickson wrote:

> Marilyn cc as above
>
> Good afternoon; apologies for this late reply, I was away at weekend.
>
> As have noted we can outline further information on ITU-D application
> process and associated Board discussions at the CCWG IG session at
> ICANN 64 should this be considered appropriate.
>
> As for the overall Government Engagement strategy; you recall this was
> discussed by the CCWG IG in a meeting with the Board WG in ICANN 60.
> Essentially; engagement, whether it be with the UN, IGO, IOs or other
> bodies, is based on a three-layer model.  Category 1 is where the
> activity of process directly impinges on ICANN Mission (such as some
> issues at ITU); Category 2 where ICANN role is in general support and
> collaborative engagement along with other players, such as at IGF; and
> finally, Category 3 which concerns selective engagement (such as with
> initiatives like the UN HLP or the Commission on the Stability of
> Cyberspace).
>
> The recent announcement of a draft Charter (for ICANN Engagement with
> Governments and Standard Bodies), see link below, compliments the
> above approach.
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/proposed-org-engagement-govt-standards-charter-25feb19-en.pdf
>
> best
>
> Nigel
>
> *From: *Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com>
> *Date: *Saturday, 2 March 2019 at 14:21
> *To: *Nigel Hickson <nigel.hickson at icann.org>
> *Cc: *ccwg <ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>, William Drake
> <wjdrake at gmail.com>
> *Subject: *Re: [Ext] Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] ITU-D SECTOR
> MEMBER APPLICATION
>
> Thanks, Nigel.
>
> Can you also please update on the recommendation and justification
> provided to the Board.  It does seem strange to me that after this
> received discussion within the CCWG-IG, and there were strong concerns
> raised, while some also were supportive, still, the overall view, as I
> recall was more than cautious and I, at least, expected to hear more
> before there was a recommendation that the Board would vote on, or
> approve, as in this case, perhaps a vote is not needed?
>
> Establishing a strategy, as I have said before, that addresses the
> significant UN specialized agencies is welcomed as a proposal.
>
> When is the Board vote? Is it before or after we meet?
>
> Marilyn

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honored in an
  unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Visiting Prof, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool Univ, Suzhou, China
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus), Econ, York U., CANADA
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852