[ccwg-internet-governance] [Ext] Re: CCWG IG: ITU-D SECTOR MEMBER APPLICATION

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Sun Mar 10 00:49:28 UTC 2019

Sam

Good morning.  Others are more qualified to come back to you on this than I.

I think, however, that you have raised important and interesting questions.

On the first, “…who the dialogue is with?”; the answer is perhaps simpler.  Under the Engagement Strategy, discussed with the CCWG IG at previous meetings, the Organisation has dialogue with a range of different bodies, both IGOs and other IOs which are doing work touching on our Mission.  The Charter does not, in the main, effect this though identifies national and regional governments as key.

On the question of “..what sort of engagement…” the proposed Charter addresses that. Essentially it is in dialogue with those either drafting or deciding upon legislation or regulations; either orally or (in case for example of public consultations) in writing.  Just as importantly, as you note, is what is said. On one degree can be purely technical, for example on implications of a regulation affecting how DNSSEC may work, on the other might be more policy orientated; for example, how the proposal affects our contracts with Registries or Registrars. Recognise the latter could be more nuanced as regards being consistent with overall ICANN policy.

Look forward to further discussion;