[ccwg-internet-governance] [Ext] Re: CCWG IG: ITU-D SECTOR MEMBER APPLICATION

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sun Mar 10 01:43:56 UTC 2019

Nigel,

With Kobi underway I won’t belabor key issues here but do want to
underscore what might be the central issue with ICANN’s engagement with
other “sister organizations” with regard to the Internet ecosystem. It
has to do with “..dialogue with those either drafting or deciding upon
legislation or regulations [on] more policy orientated; for example, how
the proposal affects our contracts with Registries or Registrars.” That
part is clear.

Where the challenge resides is how do ICANN the corporation and ICANN
the staff remain accountable when the external policy issues range
beyond what can be seen as clearly within developed and stated ICANN
policy (as per PDP WG’s, etc.) and go into areas of mutual interest that
have not necessarily already worked through the ICANN policy process.

That issue is similar to the one faced by NCSG, NPOC and NCUC. In
contrast to, say, IPC representing the interest of and speaking on
behalf of the IPC constituency, ngo/civil society groups do not speak on
behalf of civil society. Instead they address issues that are in the
public interest and speak to issues of concern to civil society. They
engage in civil society interests but do not formally represent civil
society.

It is highly likely that policy discussions in other venues will proceed
in areas that touch on ICANN’s remit, and raise new issues that ICANN
would normally handle in a multistakeholder consultative manner. Such
discussions are likely to proceed much more rapidly than ICANN’s normal
pace of policy decision making.

The tension will be between ICANN under pressure to take positions in
new areas and at a pace that present a challenge to ICANN’s normal
processes, but where ICANN should neither defer comment nor wisely
remain silent. The challenges will be: (a) who makes the position
decision (Board, CEO, Staff), and (b) how are those decisions and
decision makers held accountable to the ICANN multistakeholder decision
making process? In non-multistakeholder corporations these processes and
accountability are fairly clearly specified. In a multistakeholder
organization they are not.

All the best at Kobi. Don't get into too many beefs, and if you do make
sure it is Kobi beef.

Sam L.