[ccwg-internet-governance] Action Items re: Organisation of an IGF Workshop (was: Re: CCWG-IG call of Thursday, March 28)

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Mar 28 17:46:01 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

on today's CCWG IG call, agenda item (3) focussed on the organisation of
an IGF workshop in Berlin.

The CCWG IG has made a proposal for an IGF workshop/roundtable for
several years:
https://community.icann.org/display/CPMMB/Internet+Governance+Forum
Last year was the first year a workshop proposal was not approved and
this was likely due to IGF Paris being much shorter than usual. In 2019,
it is anticipated that the IGF in Berlin will revert to its usual
format, thus there is a better chance that a workshop proposal would be
accepted than last year.

On today's call several options were proposed:

Option 1

A workshop/roundtable focussed on EPDP topic - similar to the topic we
have proposed for the WSIS Forum: a workshop that puts together
stakeholders taking part in the EPDP phases 1 and 2.
By November 2019, implementation of phase 1 would have started and phase
2 would be in full swing. Some of the discussions taking place at IGF
might benefit the work of the EPDP Team
Workshop based on phase 1 but concentrating on phase 2. Focus should be
on Phase 2. The workshop could be useful in brainstorming standardised
access.

Option 2

3 topical areas:

- Data governance
- Security
- Stability (needs community speakers) of the DNS. A growing concern for
safety and security of individuals. How resilient is the Internet /
Alternative Security in the Internet.
This topic has the advantage to be more predictable than a focus that is
solely on EPDP Work Stream 2. We could work with SSAC and RSSAC but also
all stakeholders at ICANN that work on stability and security, across
all SOs and ACs to populate the workshop.

One could argue that the EPDP Phase 2 work, access, is part of security.
Security and Stability workshop could include the sub-topic of Phase 2
EPDP - the need or use of gTLD registration data to preserve security
and stability of the DNS.

If Option 2 is preferred instead of Option 1, one could have the topic
of Option 1 proposed as a Flash session on WorkStream 2. A way to
provide a briefing and an update on WorkStream 2.

On the call, our action item was that I should share Option 1 and 2 on
the mailing list, with a deadline of 5 working days (4th April 2019), to
give the Team enough time to build the Session Proposal. The deadline
for submitting workshop proposals at the IGF is 12th April.