[ccwg-internet-governance] UN CSTD PLENARY MEETING: UN SG ANNUAL REPORT ON OUTCOMES AND FOLLOW-UP OF WSIS

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Wed May 15 11:30:29 UTC 2019

Colleagues

Good morning.  This week, in Geneva, we have the 22nd Plenary Session of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD). Full details of agenda and documents are at https://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=1892.  ICANN attends as a formal Observer from the Technical Community.

Yesterday afternoon we had the “WSIS” Session where the Annual Report of the UN SG which was discussed   This is an annual exercise which ICANN and 32 other governments / bodies contributed to.

Essentially it is a snapshot in the progress of ICTs; noting, inter-alia, how last year the ITU confirmed that now over half of the global population is connected to the Internet; see footnote 3 on page 2.  The Session yesterday, note to follow, confirmed the real difficulties now being faced in terms of connecting more marginalized Communities; with affordability being a key problem. ICANN is referenced in paragraph 70 on Page 12 with respect to our implementation of GDPR.

 https://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/a74d62_en.pdf

The Session yesterday also referenced the UNCTAD Document on “Implementing WSIS Outcomes” which goes into further detail on some of the challenges countries are facing.

https://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/ecn162019crp2_en.pdf

Later this week we will formulate and discuss the (so-called) WSIS Resolution; which will be adopted by CSTD for onward transmission to UN ECOSOC. The 2018 Resolution, which will form the basis of our work, is at  https://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/E_res_2018_28_en.pdf

Will update on outcome.

best