[ccwg-internet-governance] Urgent: applying for sessions at ICANN Cancun meeting

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Jan 25 08:52:11 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

that time of the year, where we need to put our heads together and apply
for rooms to conduct sessions at the March ICANN meeting is already upon
us. Rather quickly, we need to decide on how many sessions we would like
and what we want to do.

As a kind reminder, last year we were in Kobe. We had our Public meeting
on Monday 11 March from 15:15-16:45 local time (
https://community.icann.org/x/S4uGBg ) and our F2F meeting which
included the ICANN Board WG on IG on Thursday 14 March from 12:15-13:15
local time ( https://community.icann.org/x/RouGBg )

As the overall block schedule is likely to be similar to previous years,
I propose that we should be asking generally the same sort of slots as
last year.

Now comes the proposal on what topic we'd like to address in our public
meeting. Generally our agenda is as follows:

1.    Introduction and welcome
2.    Approval of Agenda
3.    Single Issue Topic Presentation and Discussion (50 minutes);
4.    ICANN Internet Governance Engagement Strategy Update, including
update of EGIG (Olivier / Staff / Board Working Group, 10 Minutes)
5.    IG Updates including on UN High Level Panel, IGF 2019 and the GCSC
+ others (20 minutes)
6.    Any other Business

We need to propose the "Single Issue Topic Discussion".

For your information, these are the past topics, going back in time:

ICANN66 - https://community.icann.org/x/g5IzBw
UN High-level Panel on Digital Cooperation – Continuing the evolution of
the IGF

ICANN65 - no EGIG public session

ICANN64 - https://community.icann.org/x/S4uGBg
Discussion on Extraterritoriality - ISOC presentation by Rinalia Abdul
Rahim, SVP, followed by discussion

ICANN63 - https://community.icann.org/x/4gi8BQ
IGF Paris 2018 and Paris Peace Forum
ITU Plenipotentiary 2018 (PP-18)
UN Panel on Digital Cooperation
WTO, Trade Agreements and DNS

ICANN62 - no EGIG public session

ICANN61 - https://community.icann.org/x/zCC8B
An evolving Internet Political Ecosystem
Discussion and Challenges
Coordination and Distribution of Internet Identifiers
Tension between multi-lateral & multi-stakeholder fora
How ICANN interacts with other organisations
Lack of sustained engagement in Internet Governance Ecosystem

ICANN60 -
https://icann60abudhabi2017.sched.com/event/CbEx/internet-governance-public-forum
Global Internet Governance agenda making reference to the outcome of the
ITU WTDC and looking forward to the 2017 IGF and GCCS conference

Proposed topics in the recent past which did not make it into the agenda
as a single issue topic:
UN cybersecurity deliberations at the Open-Ended working group
Work of the Broadband Commission
Participation of ICANN Community Members in other IG Fora

A follow-up could be proposed discussing the working groups which the
IGF are putting together to follow-up with the work of the UN High-level
Panel on Digital Cooperation.

So please make suggestions and let's put together an agenda as soon as
possible.