[ChineseGP] FW: fortnightly meeting on 23rd Oct, Thursday

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 12:24:35 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

I have some comments about the questions about variant mappings document. I¡¯m sorry if some of them were addressed during the meeting.

¡¤         I¡¯m guessing we may need a new definition of variant, as°l f¨¡ ¡°send¡± andóŒ f¨¤ (Taiwanese Mandarin pronunciation f¨£ ¡°hair¡±) both TC variants of SC ·¢, for example, do not have ¡°the same pronunciations and the same meanings¡± in all of the languages.

¡¤         I reckon that code points only have ¡°independent¡± status/type in the Japanese table, but that labels should be generated using the merged LGR rules, not local table rules.

¡¤         In Japanese, ¹ú and ‡ø cannot be exchanged in most cases. However, there may be certain names e.g. ¼oÒÁ‡øÎÝ/¼oÒÁ¹úÎÝ where either form is common. The company seems to prefer the former; people write the latter. I would be interested to know what people do when word-processing. My software suggests the new form first, but then the old form. I wonder what percentage of people type which form. Personally, I would always type the form the company or person concerned preferred, if possible. There is a lot in a name.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon>