[ChineseGP] Proposed Action items before Seoul meeting

HiroHOTTA hotta at jprs.co.jp
Sat May 9 15:01:27 UTC 2015

Dear CJK colleagues,

<regarding ToDo-14>

JGP drafted its comments to IP's feedback on Yoneya's algorithm.
I hope CGP and KGP draft their own comments and send them to
Hiro<hotta at jprs.co.jp> and Yoneya<yoshiro.yoneya at jprs.co.jp> by
Monday night, 11 May. JGP will compile them all and send the
comments to UP.

IP's feedback, which was sent to us at midnight of 28 April, is
attached to this file for your reference.

Regards
Hiro

========
(1) about the annotation on slide #3

  Could you elaborate more on what this annotation means? Especially,
  we need to know exactly how 'script' should be used in RootLGR
  project.

  For example, Japanese language uses Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana.
  In this case, is 'Japanese script' a proper usage?  Or, is 'Kanji
  script' a proper usage?

(2) about WLE (to annotation on slide #4)

  Does this annotation intend to be based on the situation "some of
  the WLE rules may be for strings that contain characters in
  multiple scripts"?  For example, it refers to WLE rules for strings
  containing both Kanji and Hiragana, which are very common as
  Japanese words ?

  The annotation says that "WLE rules are not script-specific in the
  procedure: there is only a single, common set.".  Does this mean
  every LGR-2 has the same WLE?  If so, development of RootLGR won't
  finish until the last Script LGR finished.  Or does it mean every
  LGR-2 which shares the same script has the same WLE?
  If the answer is latter, CJK coordination steps has to have WLE
  integration step which will require human intervention.
  I would like to see the concrete image of LGR-2.

(3) about the term 'disposition' (to annotation on slide #6)

  The annotation says that "Note: in the XML schema this is done via
  the "type" attribute, on the <var> element and only labels have
  dispositions".  When we say "disposition" in LGR context, does it
  mean label disposition?  How can we say "attribute on the <var>
  element" shortly?  Attribute?  Type?  Disposition type?
  It is very helpful if we (IP and GPs) use the same terminology.

(4) about (o) (disposition) type (to annotate on slide #11)

  The annotation says that "Should be (b)?".  Someone feels it should
  be (o), and someone feels it should be (b).  Whether it is (b) or
  (o) doesn't make the result of WLE different (the label is invalid).
  Is our understanding correct?

(5) about minimization of allocatable variant labels (to annotate on
    slide #12 & #13 & #16)

  The annotation says that "Overall, the goal of the IP is to help
  the CJK-GPs to arrive at coordinated LGRs, such that the number of
  allocatable variant labels is minimized.".  My understanding is that
  selection of delegated label(s) from "allocatable label(s)" is by
  decision of applicant.  And it is out of scope of RootLGR.

  For Japanese language, it is impossible to predict which character
  is allocatable and which is blocked individually because all
  characters are allocatable independently.  It depends on the
  applicant's thought. JGP doesn't say all the variant labels should
  be delegated. The number of delegated labels will be at most 2 or
  3. But, for example, which labels are appropriate among the 16
  variant labels to be allocated cannot be predefined in the RootLGR
  level. Such limitation should be done in application proposal and
  its evaluation because all the variant labels are valid in
  Japanese case.

  As a summary, we should not try to solve all the issuees by RootLGR,
  we should think about appropriate mixture of RootLGR and
  application evaluation rules/guidelines.

(6) about Han and Kana mixed labels (to annotate on slide #16)

  The annotation says that "What about the case where a label is
  applied for that combines Han and Kana characters in Japanese.
  Which cases do we expect that the Han-variant can be substituted
  for the applied for Han code point in such a mixed label? -- This
  issue is specific to JGP, but it is affected by the design of the
  Han variants -- unless JGP has a WLE rule to "block" variants for
  mixed labels altogether.".  For Japanese language, Han and Kana
  can use with any combination.  As mentioned above, it is impossible
  to predict which character is allocatable and which is blocked
  individually.  Mixed use of Han and Kana does not affect it.

========