[ChineseGP] [Japanesegp] 答?: 答?: Characters likely to cause offence

Subrenat, Jean-Jacques jjs at dyalog.net
Mon May 18 16:01:02 UTC 2015

Hiro-san,

there seems to be a misunderstanding:
- you are suggesting "removal of characters",
- but in fact I made the point that we should keep the 2 characters under discussion, precisely because they have a long documented history, way before they were misused, for about 2 decades, by the Nazi régime.

A further reason for keeping these 2 characters is that, in spite of their misuse between roughly 1930 to 1945 in Europe, their use as cultural and religious references has been continuous for more than 2000 years, mainly in Asia. This continues to be true today.

Finally, I would like to make clear that my suggestion of a mechanism for removal applies to characters which may be considered offensive TODAY, but in my mind this does not apply to the 2 characters discussed in the thread.

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.