[ChineseGP] [Japanesegp] FINAL CALL RE: Draft letter to IP regarding ~40 unresolved variant sets

Edmon Chung edmon at registry.asia
Thu Nov 3 06:21:44 UTC 2016

My apologies for dropping this.

1. Ok.
2. I think while "before next gTLD application round starts" is intended, we
should not be explicit because it may send a wrong message to the GNSO that
this is a "prerequisite" for the next round (i.e. that it may hold up the
next round), which I do not believe is what we want to say.

If the above is acceptable, I will try to send the letter to IP before our
meeting.

Edmon

potential^

> [...]
> > there may be around 50-60 IDN Variant sets (involving around 100-150
> > Han characters) that will remain unresolved (between CGP and KGP), until
much
> more investigation can be considered.
> >
> > In view of the many IDN gTLDs and IDN ccTLDs already in the root
> > without IDN

potential^

> > Variants, and operational experience and understanding from the
> > Chinese VIP Case Study Report that a significant percentage of queries
> > do go to the IDN Variant domains, which means that the Chinese Domain
> > Name experience for users around the world is currently
> > disenfranchised further every day the CJK LGRs cannot be implemented.
> > Therefore, we believe there is urgency to move forward with the CJK
> > LGRs even if a small number of IDN Variant sets remain unresolved.
> >
> > As such, we are looking at a few options to provisionally handle these
> > unresolved IDN Variant sets.  One of the options involve rescinding
> > the characters of concern.  While we consider the different options,
> > we would like to seek the the IP's confirmation and advice on the
> > following 2 interrelated but separate items:
> >

> > 1. Is it reasonable to expect the possibility of updating the CJK LGRs
> > within the next few years after a first version is implemented?
> >
> > Given the complex linguistic history and differing level of
> > operational experience in Han character IDN registrations and usage, a
> > small number of characters (and corresponding IDN Variant sets) will
> > require much more extensive discussion internally and jointly before
> > full consensus may be reached.  There is now an interest between the
> > CJK LGRs to set aside this small group of characters in order for a
> > first version of the CJK LGRs to be implemented, enabling IDN Variants
> > for the corresponding IDN gTLDs and ccTLDs to be used.
> >
> > The CJK GPs nevertheless is concerned whether it is possible to submit
> > a version of the CJK LGRs for consideration and thereupon immediately
> > start work on the remaining characters, with an aim to update to a
> > next version of the CJK LGRs within a few years (e.g. in 2 to 3 years'
> > time).  We are seeking the IP's confirmation and opinion on whether it
> > is a reasonable expectation that such an approach would be appropriate
> > given the context of the situation, understanding the overarching
> > principles of stability and security.
> >

> > 2. If the around unresolved characters are to be first disallowed for
> > application, how should it be implemented in the first version of the
> > CJK LGRs?
> >
> > We have identified around a number of IDN Variant sets in the Han
> > character repertoire shared among CJK communities for which a
> > divergence in the definition of IDN Variant relationship cannot be
> > immediately resolved (especially between CGP and KGP).  Therefore, the
> > CJK GPs would like to provisionally disallow application of IDN TLD
> > strings involving those characters for the first version of the CJK
LGRs.