[Comments-africa-dns-market-study-11mar17] Comments on the draft 2016 African Domain Name System Market Study report

Isaac Maposa isaac at webenchanter.com
Thu May 4 17:57:18 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I really appreciate the amount of work put in coming up with such a
comprehensive and informative report.We do hope proper action emanating
from this report will be taken to improve the African DNS market. I do have
a few contributions.

Here are my contributions to the draft 2016 African Domain Name System
Market Study report;

*Corrections*

1. The ccTLD for Eritrea is ER (https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/er.html)
and ET is the ccTLD for Ethopia (https://www.iana.org/domains/
root/db/et.html). (Page 12)
2. The other .ZW subdomains are .ORG.ZA <http://org.za/> (1,350 domains),
It's org.zw not .org.za  (under 7.3.1.4 Zimbabwe128 (ZW) page 143)

*Comments*

1. On Privacy Support in Domain Registration. The other main reason why
Registrars and Registries do not offer privacy protection in the first
place is because the WHOIS details are not even publicly available and if
they can be requested they can be requested by sending an email to the
Registry that is if the registry is able to provide them.

2. And the use of proxy services for contact details on African ccTLDs may
be hard since the Registries always require the rightful owner's details
sometimes as is on the company registration documents where they are
required to register a domain.

3. In the report you highlighted the setting up of a DNS observatory in
Africa.  (Who will develop the observatory, is it the same organisation
that carried out the market study?).

*Reccomentations*

1. To improve the DNS market in Africa, I do suggest the Incubation of DNS
startups or an accelerator program which should not only be for the ICANN
accredited Registrars but for the promising startups in the African DNS
ecosystem. This can be done through partnering with some big tech
organisations and other stakeholders who may be willing to support the
initiative.

Warm Regards,

[image: photo]
*Isaac Maposa*
Marketing Director, Web Enchanter P/L
+263 2933 233 | +263 774 102 850 | isaac at webenchanter.com |
https://www.name.co.zw |
1st Floor, Coal House, 17 N. Mandela, Inside Memory Computers
<http://www.facebook.com/name.co.zw>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/web-enchanter-pvt-ltd>
<http://twitter.com/name_co_zw>
<https://www.name.co.zw/> Register .ORG.ZW & .AC.ZW Domains Online on