[comments-bylaws-bgc-31mar17] Afnic support and suggestions for improvement

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Wed Apr 5 15:10:48 UTC 2017

Dear members of the ICANN Board,

Afnic is the registry operator for top-level domains corresponding to the
national territory of France (.fr, .re, .pm, .yt, .wf, .tf) and the
backend registry operator for 15 new generic Top Level Domains. Afnic is a
member of CCNSO, Centr, and APTLD. It should also be noted that, although
this comment is not provided in this capacity, I am the ccNSO appointed
co-chair of the CCWG-Accountability.

Afnic supports the general direction of the proposal which appear to aim
at better organizing the workload within the Board.

We also appreciate the opportunity to comment and offer a couple of
(minor) feedbacks on the proposal itself. They could reasonably be framed
as suggestions for improvement rather than concerns or issues.

First, we do not believe it had been identified in the drafting of the new
Bylaws that the way the Board organizes its work (into various Committees
for instance) to deal with the various accountability mechanisms should be
a “Fundamental” Bylaw. As a consequence, for greater flexibility in the
future, instead of the proposed changes in the Bylaws (consisting in
replacing the name of a committee by another committee name), Afnic
suggests that the reformulation enables the Board to form or designate a
committee to handle these requests. Instead of “The Board has designated
the Board Accountability Mechanisms Committee to review and consider
Reconsideration Requests.”, a formulation could be : “The Board designates
a Committee to review and consider Reconsider Requests. For the purpose of
this section, this designated Committee is referred to as “The Board
Accountability Mechanism Committee”.

Second, regarding the draft Committee Charters, we find surprising that
the BGC remains in charge of the Ombudsman “own motion” investigations.
For consistency reasons, we would rather see this responsibility
transferred to the new Accountability Mechanism Committee, because the
Ombudsman is one of the Accountability mechanisms in place at ICANN.

Thank you for your consideration of this comment.

Best,

--
Mathieu WEILL
 <mailto:mathieu.weill at afnic.fr> mathieu.weill at afnic.fr