[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Oppose the removal of price cap for legacy .org domain

Hoang Nguyen hello at mysh.me
Thu Apr 25 21:12:52 UTC 2019

I write to oppose the removal of price cap as it directly affect me and my community.

I have an .org domain that is used for emails when contributing to the Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS). The email is the most important piece of information to verify my identity. Therefore, I must keep the ownership of the domain.

Removing the price cap could potentially jack up the renewal fees to who knows how much. It makes it so easy to attack and undermine the FLOSS community and other communities that use only email as identity. Attackers, who want to impersonate core members of FLOSS projects, now have high chance of acquire the domain as the new fee is no longer affordable by individuals whose hobby is FLOSS. This new policy will break the assumption that email is unique and own by one human. Therefore, it undermines the current security model and the effort to introduce a new identity system is huge.