[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Rosanne Dekker r-dekker at live.nl
Fri Apr 26 00:37:20 UTC 2019

 I have registered a .org domain name for my volunteer-run nonprofit organization. The proposed removal of price caps of .org domain names is a terrible idea which could discourage a lot of young social entrepreneurs (like myself) to own a domain, and I strongly recommend against it.

Without the price cap, it'll probably still be cheap to purchase a domain name. But if someone has already built a whole website on a domain name, of course they will want to keep that domain name, and then the price is likely to skyrocket. This will be problematic, especially for social organizations, as their focus is not on profit, and thus there may be no budget for owning domain names anymore.

Being the founder of such an organization, I truly hope the price cap will not be removed, so that I can focus on creating a positive impact in the world, instead of trying to make money in order to keep my domain name.

Thank you,
RD