[council] Draft agenda for GNSO teleconference on terms of reference for the GNSO review - 25 August 2005

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Thu Aug 25 03:04:28 UTC 2005

Ross:

I think you raise a very important point, and I hope that we will be
able to discuss this tomorrow in more depth.

In an effort to contribute to this thread, I would like to try to answer
your question. I believe the goals and expectations of the GNSO are
clearly defined in the bylaws, specifically that the GNSO shall be the
"policy-development body ... for developing and recommending to the
ICANN Board substantive policies relating to generic top-level domains."

Similar to an employee evaluation process, the party directly
responsible for receiving the work of the employee (i.e. the ICANN
Board) should have a direct role in the evaluation process of the
employee (GNSO). Moreover, I believe this interaction needs to be at the
very beginning of the process in accessing the performance of the
employee. Only after these questions have been answered is it truly
possible to undertake an independent evaluation process and recommend
changes. My point is, if the Board doesn't comment at the outset on what
is working and what is not, how would any independent evaluation
undertake a meaningful review with no reference points?

As someone that has spent a number of years at both the Board and GNSO
constituency level, these are the two fundamental questions which I
believe all Board members should be asked: (1) are you satisfied with
the output of the GNSO Policy recommendations and (2) are you satisfied
with the process of how the GNSO goes about Policy recommendations.

Now if the answer to both of these questions are yes, then we really do
not need to start with some of the broader fundamental questions that I
believe this process has started off with. Moreover, I am concerned that
some of the questions are so broad, that it potentially undermines the
first part of an constructive process that Patrick Sherry undertook last
year.

So if the council believes that this would be a constructive process I
would encourage council to instruct staff to undertake a formalized Q&A
process with the ICANN Board ASAP to provide specific reference points
of what is and is not working.

Comments, questions?

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage

reference for the GNSO review - 25 August 2005