[council] A secret email address between registrar and registrant, please (WAS: RE: [gnso-dow123] RE: [council] RE: WHOIS combined task force call 1 March 2005)

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Mar 2 20:22:51 UTC 2005

Marc, I agree. Publishing the main contact addresses is the main reason
their holders never reply to a message -- a probable symptom they are
not being able to handle the spam overflow.

So, definitely, the "secret" registry/tar - registrant email should be
implemented. However, there remains the problem of not being able to
contact an Internet provider once a serious phishing schema, for
example, is detected as coming from its network, since they are
seemingly ignoring all messages coming to their published email addresses.

--c.a.

Marc Schneiders wrote:

>I was pretty sympathetic to the proposal (if I understoord it right)
>of Tim, vid. that only the registrar would have the authoritative
>email address of the registrant, which would NOT be displayed in
>whois. As we all know all email addresses displayed in whois are
>spammed to death. As a result email to this address will in due course
>be impossible to read or monitor. Consequently the poor registrant
>will not see the reminder to renew. Nor the message that her domain
>will be transferred to a hijacker through another registrar.
>
>IN SHORT: I strongly urge us all to create a method, where the
>authoritative email for transfers and the like is NOT in whois.  Not
>for .com nor for the thick registries. This is essential in this age
>of spam.
>
>I have some domains and I am forced to accept some 300 spam messages a
>day and to go through them each day. One of these may be a reminder to
>renew...
>
>This can so easily be changed: A 'secret' email address for
>communication between registrar and registrant. As an option this
>should be introduced soon.
>
>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, at 11:53 [=GMT-0600], Tim Ruiz wrote:
>

>>Jeff,
>>
>>You're right. We do not have any problems with thick registry TLDs in this
>>regard. But don't take this as an endorsement, or non-endorsement, of the
>>thick registry model in any way :)
>>
>>Tim

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br