[council] Compromise wording on WHOIS

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Apr 7 18:14:58 UTC 2006

Philip -

 > In preparation for the discussion and possible vote on WHOIS purpose
please find attached a
 > proposed compromise definition.
 > The background to this compromise is as follows:
 > - It is not intended to be a new formulation 2 but a new approach and
thus an amendment to
 > the proposed vote.
 > - The new wording seeks to accommodate numerous concerns expressed at
the last Council
 > meeting and in the recent WG paper:
 > 1. it speaks not of the purpose of "WHOIS" but the purpose for which
the "data is
 > collected". This reflects the concerns rightly raised by the
non-commercial constituency in
 > that previous definitions were not compliant with data protection
laws such as the EU data
 > protection directive. The intent here is that the scope should be no
wider than the scope of
 > such laws.

The Task Force terms of reference are explicit on the point that the
definition is to deal with the purpose of whois, not the purpose of the
data collection. While your intentions are well-placed, I believe that
this amendment is "out-of-order". The purpose of the data collection is
currently defined by the registrar in their respective terms of service.
I would expect these to vary from registrar to registrar and I fail to
understand what benefits come from standardizing the language.

Right now, we very clearly have a broad support amongst the
constituencies for Formulation #1. During our recent council meeting, it
became clear that what I had viewed as being equally broad support for
Formulation #2 was in fact not all that broad (I don't believe that any
of the former supporters of Formulation #2 were willing to endorse the
proposition as written). Now you have presented us with a completely new
formulation that attempts to deal with the issue by answering a question
related to the collection of Whois data, and not the purpose of the
Whois system itself. I fail to see how this represents a compromise. It
is an answer to a question that we are not asking.

The task force has spent an incredible amount of time preparing these
formulations - despite the fact that it was unable to come to complete
agreement between all of the constituencies (3 for, 3 against). I
believe that we owe it to the Task Force to consider and vote on the
language that they have prepared for us, or at the very least, amend the
existing language such that it more appropriately deals with the
concerns that Council might have. Your proposal takes the discussion in
a completely different direction and is not in scope relative to the
terms of reference of the task force. It would be inadvisable for us to
turn our backs on the body of work undertake by this committee in the
way that you propose.

 > 3. The definition is silent on questions of subsequent access to data
or data publication.
 > This issue was raised by the Registrars in that the purpose of WHOIS
was being defined in
 > the context of the current manifestation of WHOIS with its current
open access and
 > publication. This definition is intended not to make ANY assumption
about access.

I'm not sure that this was the point I was making (or that anyone from
the Registrar constituency made this point). I believe this was raised
by someone else, although I haven't read through the transcripts to
figure out whom. Also, it was my understanding that the point was raised
as it relates to Formulation #2. In any event, the more general point is
that Formulation #1 is intended to create a standardized definition for
the path forward that is consistent with ICANN's scope and mission. The
problem with Formulation #2 is that it attempts to create a standardized
definition that is consistent with past practices - which are not
necessarily consistent with ICANN's scope and mission.

 > definition describing the purposes of data collection and one that is
not blind to the use
 > that such data is being put today in pursuit of consumer protection
and measures to prevent
 > crime.

I completely sympathize with the concerns raised re: criminal activity
and consumer protection. It is worth pointing out that this has become a
bit of a red herring in this discussion in that it fails to distinguish
between "purpose" and "use". i.e. The purpose of the DNS is to map
domain names to IP addresses. Its use is far broader than that.
Similarly, the purpose of the gTLD Whois service can be equally simple
and narrow, while facilitating a much broader set of uses - i.e. nothing
in its application prevents the responsible party from passing on law
enforcement requests in exactly the same manner that they do today.

I do appreciate the effort that you've made to bridge the gap, but I
believe it is in our interests to select one of the two current
formulations in a timely manner so that the Task Force can continue with
the rest of its work. I cannot support your proposal on these grounds.

Regards,
--

                        -rr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:
Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation