[council] Regarding data collected and the purpose of collecting data

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Apr 11 10:27:23 UTC 2006

Philip originally wrote;
>>> I agree. It is not my logic. I am NOT making the assertion in (2).
>>> You assume that because a Registrar agreement TODAY requires public
>>> access, that is the status quo upon which we are defining the purpose
>>> of WHOIS.
>>> In other words you are defining purpose only in the context of the
>>> current means of access.

<snip>

Ross replied;
> The implication is quite obviously different than how it appears to you.
> The assumptions made have nothing to do with the status quo, and
> everything to do with refining the status quo to make it more useful and
> more meaningful to a broader set of participants. This is what our
> policy development processes are all about - change.

Apologies, its early around these parts - this last paragraph should
have read:

The implication is quite obviously different than how it appears to you.
The assumptions made have nothing to do with setting definitions in
terms of the the status quo, and everything to do with refining the