[council] Voting rules for Board Seat #14

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun May 7 19:23:45 UTC 2006

Hello Robin,

> I'm a little unclear about how this election for Board Seat
> #14 takes place.
>
> Are there different rounds of voting where some number of
> candidates are
> dropped?
>
> Is there somewhere online where I can find the rules for this
> election?

For some history on what has happened in the past see:
http://www.dnso.org/elections/

The basic voting approach is set out at:
http://www.dnso.org/elections/2003.GNSO-ICANN-seat14-voting-proc.html

It is called "convention style" voting.

We have a total of 27 votes in total that can be cast.

A candidate needs to get 14 votes to be elected.

If after an initial vote, no candidate ges 14 votes, then all candidates
getting zero votes, and all candidates receiving the lowest non-zero
number of votes are eliminated from subsequent rounds.

E.g Below are some examples that demonstrate how the process can be
applied.

ELIMINATION OF CANDIDATES FROM SUBSEQUENT ROUNDS
The specifics of eliminations from subsequent rounds of voting:

On the first round, all candidates getting zero votes, and all
candidates receiving the lowest non-zero number of votes are eliminated
from subsequent rounds. Example first round:
        Candidate 1             receives 0 votes
        Candidate 2             receives 2 vote
        Candidate 3             receives 4 votes
        Candidate 4             receives 6 vote
        Candidate 5             receives 8 vote
        Candidate 6             receives 2 vote

Candidate 1 is eliminated because he or she received zero votes.
Candidates 2 and 6 are eliminated because they both received two votes,
which is the lowest non-zero number. Candidates 3, 4, and 5 appear on
the ballot in the next round.

On all rounds after the first, all candidates receiving the lowest
number of votes are eliminated from subsequent rounds. Example:
        Candidate 1             receives 2  votes
        Candidate 2             receives 11 votes
        Candidate 3             receives 2 votes
        Candidate 4             receives 9 votes

Candidates 1 and 3 are eliminated because they both received two votes,
which is the lowest number. Only candidates 2 and 4 appear on the ballot
in the next round.

In the final round, one candidate must receive a majority of the total
number of votes that all members of the GNSO may cast. Example, assuming
24 votes total on GNSO Council:
        Candidate 1             receives 6 votes
        Candidate 2             receives 12 votes
        Candidate 3             receives 6 votes

Candidates 1 and 3 are eliminated because they both received six votes,
which is the lowest number. Because candidate 2 did not receive thirteen
votes (a majority of 24), he or she is not selected in this round. An
additional round will be run, with a single candidate, and candidate 2
must receive 13 affirmative votes to be victorious.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin