[council] a question that comes from reading the LSE report:

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Sep 16 14:10:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

In recommendation 13 of the report,

     (for those who have not seen it yet :
      http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-15sep06.htm )

they recommend term limits of 2 at 2 year or 1 at 3 year.  I never gave any
thought to how long people had been in the council and was wondering
if a list of councilors with their years in the council could be
generated.  I am curious as to how many councilors this would affect
if it were the practice.  I looked for such a table in the Annex, and
while I may have missed it, did not see one.  Might even be
interesting to include that information in the council members list
at http://gnso.icann.org/council/members.shtml .

Note on my personal opinions on the the issue:
I am not in general in favor of strict term limits, but i am in favor
of transparency that allows all to know how long someone has been in
place. In terms of renewals I tend to prefer guidelines that. e.g. say

- after 1 term  - renew unless there is a reason not to
- after 2 terms - renew if there is a good reason to do so
- after 3 terms - do not renew unless it is vitally important to do so

thanks
a.