[council] Next GNSO Council chair - and Vice-chairs ?

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Mon Apr 16 22:37:27 UTC 2007

My comment was not related to Bruce.  But rather, a desire to create
standard and customary checks and balances in ICANN governance
structures.  A vice-chair is a standard and customary mechanism for
checks and balances in many governance structures.

But let's not pretend that a chair has equal power to other councilors.
The chair decides where there agreement; the chair decides what to
include in reports and what to omit; the chair decides whether to call
something "strong support" or just "support".  There are a number of
ways in which a chair can influence the outcome  -  and yes, that is why
it is imperative that a chair be as neutral as possible.

Robin