[council] WHO study agenda item - creation of a template for study proposals

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Dec 18 12:50:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

The original charter for the team was to design a template and send it
to the council for consideration at its 20 Dec meeting.  This template
would then be made available to the wider community so that those who
want to champion a specific study can fill it out and submit it for
council approval.

The design team took a slightly different approach originally and has
made some progress in detailing the requirements for specific studies,
though they have not ben done in terms of the current template and are
not yet ready for wider discussion.  So one idea that has come up in
off list discussions includes having the council check the template to
make sure that the council agrees it is being taken in the correct
direction and then have the design team continue on with the next step
of defining a few studies using that template, as well as passing it
on to other ICANN groups who might be interested in contributing ideas
for studies.

At the very least, I think it is important for the design team to
deliver the template to the council for discussion as originally
panned.  If the council then decides that the template is fine and
that best course of action is to send it back to the design team and
ask the team fill it out for several different possible studies, I
think the design team would be glad to take that task on.  On the
other hand the council could decide to go with the original plan and
make the template available to the wider community.  Or we could
choose some hybrid approach.

At the very least, this is a checkpoint in the progress of the work
item.

thanks
a.