[council] Advance question for the 28 Feburary call

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Wed Feb 27 22:18:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

Due to an employment commitment with the IGF this week, I will not be
able to attend the meeting with the council, but do plan to listen to
the recording after the meeting.  I am therefore directing my question
to you by email, though I request that Chuck, who will chair that
meeting, ask it of you at the proper time.

My question relates to the improvements casting the GNSO council, as a
management body instead of a 'legislative body.'  One of the concerns
that I wrote of in the public comment period,  has not really been
alleviated by the last report. This concerns the distinction between
policy management as an administrative function and policy management
as a policy function.  If I read the current proposal correctly, the
council  must pass on recommendations from Working Groups as long as
they followed the (to be developed) process correctly - even if, in
the consensus view of  the council, the recommendation is a really bad
idea.  I think this relegates the GNSO council to a purely
administrative body and not a policy body.  At the very least, I
believe the council should be able to reject a policy recommendation
if there is a supermajority against it (same rules as apply to the
Board vis a vis a GNSO council supermajority PDP decision).  I would
like to know your position regarding my concern.

Thanks

a.