[council] Reconfiguring the URS?

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu May 3 18:58:38 UTC 2012

The current URS was developed by a GNSO STI
"Review Team" at the explicit request of the
Board
(http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-17dec09-en.htm)
has a quick summary of the process). It was
tweaked in a number of ways by Staff during
implementation, and once unilaterally by the
Board (presumably in response to pressure from one group).

It does not sound as if the current planned
revision would be considered a "tweak". As such,
I don't see how the GNSO could be excluded from
the process (and being lumped into "and community members".

The satisfactory outcome of the STI group was not
pre-destined. Given the strongly differing views
of those going into the process, the outcome was
remarkable and at least partially attributable to
the good will of those involved and their
willingness to take a fresh look at the issues.

Given the nature of the problem, the history, and
the tight timing there is a great potential to
come out of the described consultative process
with a plan that meets the desired price point
but not the needs of the various groups. I
appreciate that the timing might not allow for a
traditional GNSO policy development process (just
as the STI effort didn't), but the GNSO should ne
be placed on the periphery of the discussions.

If special "summits" are deemed necessary due to
timing constraints, the GNSO must be a prominent
player (probably through a balanced group of
participants as with the STI). As such, the GNSO
team should be funded for this participation at the summits.

Alan