[council] Reporting on GAC request of ICANN on monitoring PICs

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Sun Apr 7 02:40:52 UTC 2013

Has anyone done cost analysis of the externalities of PICs, particularly
implemented this way?

Namely, if a private applicant can impose costs on ICANN by creating
unique obligations that ICANN can then be forced to police, are we as a
whole willing to subsidize that? Should we instead have an opportunity
to ask if these so-called "public interest commitments" are really in
the entire public interest, or rather ask the registry to pay for them
itself? Otherwise, like it or not, we're building a larger and larger
regulatory organization that we'll all have to pay for.

--Wendy