[council] Public Forum Statement

Winterfeldt, Brian bwinterfeldt at steptoe.com
Tue Apr 16 02:09:47 UTC 2013

Dear Jonathan:

We suggest softening the public forum statement in the following manner, in advance of framing it in a letter to the Board of Directors.

The GNSO Council would like to remind the ICANN staff and Board that it is the
only entity charged with policy development and providing recommendations to
the Board on substantive policies relating to generic top level domains. The
GNSO Council recently provided advice in response to a letter from the CEO to
the effect that an issue being considered was a matter of policy, rather than
implementation. It was Staff's view that the issue was implementation and not
policy, and accordingly it was the Staff's decision to proceed with
implementation of what the majority of the Council believed was policy. It is
the Council's firmly held view that when there is not an agreement on whether
or not such an item is policy, as in this case, that the Staff and/or the ICANN
Board must refer back to the Council before proceeding further.

Indeed, as a general point, it is the Council's view that should it provide
policy advice to the Staff and/or the Board in the future, then in the event
that Staff and/or Board seek to act in a manner that is not consistent with the
Council's advice, then the Staff and/or Board must consult with the GNSO
Council, explain the rationale behind its decision, and allow the Council, at a
minimum, to respond to the Staff or Board's decision.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Partner