[council] About Designing a 21st Century ICANN

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Feb 4 15:46:17 UTC 2014

Hi

On 04-Feb-14 10:02, Mike O'Connor wrote:
> which brings me to the last idea for this post.  i wonder whether we
> need *two* GNSO Councils — a Policy Council (us) and a Leadership
> Council comprised of the heads of the SGs and constituencies who elect
> their own leader to coordinate and drive the work of those functional
> bodies.

While this is the sort of thing that the review of the GNSO can come up
with, I personally think it is a really bad idea that will confuse
things even further.

I think that the GNSO has one leadership council, the GNSO Council, not
a GNSO Policy Council but a GNSO Council.  And while there are those who
have had a long standing campaign to denature the GNSO Council to make
it less then it is supposed to be, the only real effect of splitting the
leadership into two councils would be to weaken the GNSO and promote
inter-council conflict on whose responsibility something was.  Finger
pointing would be the order of the day.

Definitely something I will argue against on every opportunity.

avri