[council] Enhancing ICANN Accountability | ICANN - Proposed Next Steps for the Process

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Thu May 29 14:55:48 UTC 2014

Jonathan,

As we have seen in other areas (e.g., the proliferation of staff-initiated cross community working groups, the call for primary comment from the Council on issues of interest to the constituencies, the reliance on outside experts), ICANN is moving to rely on credentials and hierarchy to accelerate its decision making time frames in the face of political need.  We ought to avoid succumbing to such stimulus & response by offering up a proposal or two of our own that aligns with the expectations of the constituencies and stakeholder groups we represent.

By setting the agenda on a question of "4 or 5" we miss the larger point of empowering the muilti-stakeholder, consensus-driven, bottom-up process.  If that is too messy a place for the IANA contract to reside (which, I think, is Fadi's goal in all of this), then so be it.

Berard

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: RE: [council] Enhancing ICANN Accountability | ICANN - Proposed Next Steps for the Process