[council] Please review: GNSO Council motion and statement 15 March 2017
nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Wed Mar 15 22:15:54 UTC 2017
Ahead of the official minutes, the following resolution was passed by the GNSO Council at its meeting on Wednesday, 15 March 2017. Please review and I will then circulate to the Council list and post to the website<https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions>. Please also notice the Glen de Saint Gery Statement which was adopted during this same GNSO Council meeting and which will also be posted on the website<https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/correspondence>.
Motion – Preliminary Adoption of GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC) Charter
Proposed: James Bladel
Seconded: Susan Kawaguchi, Ed Morris
1. The GNSO Council expressed the desire to establish a GNSO Standing Selection Committee to assist with the selection of GNSO representatives to future Review Teams, including for the various reviews mandated by the ICANN Bylaws, and other ICANN structures for which the GNSO will need to appoint, nominate or endorse candidates
2. A small team of Council members developed a set of criteria intended to serve as the basis for a uniform process that would be used by the GNSO Standing Selection Committee to make future selections as required
3. These criteria have been captured in GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC) Charter (see https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/draft-standing-selection-committee-15mar17-en.pdf<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_drafts_draft-2Dstanding-2Dselection-2Dcommittee-2D15mar17-2Den.pdf&d=DwMGaQ&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=4A3LwUUER9_CePZ11QJsr56eryGQiPHEqv4TL7JH87w&m=hWmxPUFgahNlLY7s8tjGCKwYd5nw9MfN5gZrchCQib0&s=EDkp6CdQoyyVvzsFGFGMP7FABzMUI8dpPzYgB6Zq4oM&e=>)
4. The Council reviewed the charter and agreed that as this is a new entity and approach, it would be desirable to test the process and criteria outlined in the charter to assess whether it is fit-for-purpose. To that end, it is proposed that:
1) the charter be adopted on an interim basis,
2) SSC be formed in accordance with the charter,
3) SSC to apply the charter for a minimum carry out 2 selection / nomination processes,
4) SSC to conduct a review of the selection / nomination process and suggest changes to the Charter if appropriate,
5) Confirm the GNSO SSC Charter as is, or, as modified based on the review.
1. The GNSO Council adopts the GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC) Charter on an interim basis (see https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/draft-standing-selection-committee-15mar17-en.pdf)<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_drafts_draft-2Dstanding-2Dselection-2Dcommittee-2D15mar17-2Den.pdf-29&d=DwMGaQ&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=4A3LwUUER9_CePZ11QJsr56eryGQiPHEqv4TL7JH87w&m=hWmxPUFgahNlLY7s8tjGCKwYd5nw9MfN5gZrchCQib0&s=mFaT0FCG-5SToat3VkEyc-5-6270o3jObGjOcPSci6Y&e=> and instructs the GNSO Secretariat to launch a call for volunteers per the membership criteria outlined in the SSC Charter as soon as possible with a view to having each member identified by their appointing SG/C by 27 March 2017 and the establishment of the SSC no later than 31 March 2017.
2. The GNSO Council tasks the SSC to carry out the review and selection of GNSO endorsed candidates for the Registration Directory Service Review Team for Council consideration at the latest by its 20 April 2017 meeting.
3. The GNSO Council tasks the SSC to develop the criteria and the process for the selection of the GNSO Representative to the Empowered Community for GNSO Council consideration by its June 2017 meeting, and following the approval by the GNSO Council, carry out the selection process.
4. Following the completion of two selection processes, the GNSO Council requests the SSC to report back to the GNSO Council with its assessment of whether the charter provides sufficient guidance and flexibility to carry out its work, and/or whether any modifications should be considered. Acknowledging that this is a work in progress, the GNSO Council will review this assessment as well as whether any modifications should be considered, as well as any inconsistencies that may need to be addressed as a result of the finalization of the work of the Bylaws Drafting Team.
5. The GNSO Council thanks the small group of volunteers, Susan Kawaguchi, Ed Morris, Valerie Tan and the GNSO Council leadership team, for its work on the charter.
Statement Adopted by the GNSO Council: Glen de Saint Géry
Proposed: James Bladel
Seconded: All members of the GNSO Council
Glen de Saint Géry has been involved in the ICANN world before there was an ICANN, and before anybody really understood what ICANN was.
Whereas Glen was instrumental in the development of the practices and procedures that have supported the operation and administration of the GNSO since its inception as the DNSO, and which have been adopted beyond the GNSO to support other ICANN supporting organisations and advisory committees.
Whereas Glen has been responsible for developing and mentoring not only ICANN staff performing support roles for the GNSO, but also incoming Councilors.
Whereas Glen has survived seven GNSO Chairs and too many GNSO Councilors to count.
Whereas Glen is the living embodiment of ICANN’s core values of openness, transparency and fairness, having performed her duties without prejudice and with diplomacy, style, grace, humour and warmth that is second to none.
The GNSO Council, from the bottom of our hearts, and on behalf of all of the GNSO Councils that have come before us, sincerely thank Glen for her dedication, warmth and love in supporting the GNSO and the work that we do on behalf of the global internet community.
In recognition of the significant contribution Glen has made to ICANN over the past 14 years, the GNSO Council recognizes that for the purposes of ICANN58 Copenhagen, the GNSO be known as the Glen de Saint Géry Names Supporting Organisation
Thank you very much for your time and feedback.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the council