[council] Draft motion on RPM Working Group data request for submission to GNSO Council

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Wed Sep 20 20:44:18 UTC 2017

Rubens, with respect, and speaking only for myself as I have not had any opportunity to discuss this proposal with my co-chairs, support staff, or WG members, I have the following serious concerns about this proposed language:

1.       The draft Motion was filed more than ten days ago yet this highly substantive amendment was filed 46 minutes prior to the start of the Council call, leaving no time for any consultation among the co-chairs or within the WG (noting that our regular weekly call was held at 1700 UTC today, and we could have discussed this matter within the WG if it had been filed in a timely manner);

2.       The amendment assumes that there is some fixed deadline for completion of our work, whereas our timeline (like that of every other PDP WG I have ever participated in) is flexible and is readjusted at regular intervals depending on progress and newly identified needs or challenges;

3.       If the concern is how much time the data gathering takes then it makes no sense to prioritize quantitative data over anecdotal evidence, as the former likely takes more time to gather and analyze;

4.       There are no “RPMs that deviate the most from approved policy”; all the RPMs we are reviewing are existing new gTLD policy; and

5.       The co-chairs are already diligently managing the timeline to harmonize with the Subsequent Procedures WG to the maximum extent feasible, yet this language seems to assume the contrary.

Given my concerns about the meaning and intent of this proposed amendment, and its very late arrival, I am in no position to agree to it or negotiate concerning it. Further, I just learned a few minutes ago that one of my co-chairs will be unable to join the Council call.

Regards,
Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC