[Ctn-crosscom] Attendance MP3 CTN meeting - Monday 20 April 2015

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Mon Apr 20 08:16:59 UTC 2015

Dear All,

 Please find the MP3 recording for the Cross-Community Working Group on Use of Country/Territory Names as TLDs meeting held on Monday 20 April 2015 at 06:00 UTC at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ccwg-unct-20apr15-en.mp3
On page:
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov><http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jan><http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#mar>http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr>apr<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr>
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/
Attendees:
ccNSO
Ron Sherwood, .vi
Annebeth Lange, .no
Laura Hutchison, .uk
Joke Braeken, .eu

GNSO
Heather Forrest, IPC (Co-Chair)
Carlos Raul Guttierez, NPOC
Maxim Alzoba, NTAG

At-Large
Cheryl Langdon-Orr

ISO
Jaap Akkerhuis

Apologies:
Susan Payne, IPC

ICANN staff:
Bart Boswinkel
Lars Hoffman
Nathalie Peregrine

Mailing list archives:http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ctn-crosscom/
 Wiki page:https://community.icann.org/x/X7XhAg

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie
Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday 20 April 2015:
Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the CCWG on Use of Country/ Territory Names as TLDs on the 20 April 2015
  Lars Hoffmann:Good morning all.
  Ron Sherwood:Good (very early) morning everyone
  Heather Forrest:Hello Ron and Joke, thank you for joining us.
  Heather Forrest:Sorry for the early hour, Ron - apparently there are big goings on in Costa Rica today involving Fadi and we tried to steer clear of overlapping with those activities
  Ron Sherwood:I do understand...  zzzzzz!
  Heather Forrest:Welcome, Bart!
  Bart Boswinkel:Helloe everyone
  Heather Forrest:Thank you all for your timeliness - we'll wait 1 or 2 minutes to start to have another co-chair on the call
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello Everybody
  Heather Forrest:Welcome, Maxim - thank you for joining the call today
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Do we have adobe audio?
  Heather Forrest:I believe so but will let Nathalie confirm
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Yes Maxim
  Nathalie  Peregrine:I see you have activated your mic
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):audio test positive
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi all
  Bart Boswinkel:I am the call, but there is a lot of echo
  Bart Boswinkel:Both you an dLars
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:no echo for me via AC  atm
  Bart Boswinkel:resolved
  Ron Sherwood:No echo here on AC
  Carlos Raul:sorry
  Carlos Raul:here I Am
  Heather Forrest:great, carlos - thanks!
  Heather Forrest:We are just now getting started
  Carlos Raul:you go Heather pls
  Heather Forrest:ok
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:scroll control??
  Nathalie  Peregrine:enabled
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thx
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Annebeth lange has joined the call
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I am all OK  with the BG part of the doc subject to the mnor edits and some format issues ( e.g. bottom of page 6)
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Annebeth is not on the Audio bridge, not has emabled her mic in the AC room
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Note  Deffinittion  is an orphanws  from the table  in my view of the doc... needs a page return  pre that word...
  Heather Forrest:Noted, thanks Cheryl
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):refernece to 6 on 6th page needs URL to the previous document
  Annebeth Lange:I have problems with the net, and with the sound
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Exactly Bart a commin issue with readers of our previous docs../ is to bring in 'Common Use' terms (geo I admot)   as "Territory"  when we mean the LISTED ones...
  Annebeth Lange:I don´t think you hear me
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:No we don't Annabeth
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I'm OK  with the several terms  used in the deffinitions lstr as Heather proposes and A BIG  supporter of the Capitals  for Deffined Terms  use ;-)
  Annebeth Lange:Can you call me on 0047 959 11 559
  Annebeth Lange:I have problems with the sound
  Annebeth Lange:So do you mean that the territories in the ISO list should be taken out, Heather and Carlos?
  Heather Forrest:Not quite, Annebeth - that we have 3 separate definitions
  Heather Forrest:1. Country names, 2. Territory names, 3. Country and territory names
  Carlos Raul:only in the third one we refer to the ISO list
  Heather Forrest:Understood, Bart - there are political issues here
  Annebeth Lange:It is not us deciding what is countries. When UN decide a new country, that will be on the ISO list
  Annebeth Lange:So I agree, this is politics
  Joke Braeken:I agree Annebeth
  Annebeth Lange:And we must remember that our WG is working with c & t names as TLDs, not only as gTLDs
  Joke Braeken:exactly
  Carlos Raul:I agree Annebeth, and we should treat them chronologically
  Carlos Raul:1st cctlds
  Carlos Raul:and then, get into the gTLD workd
  Carlos Raul:world
  Heather Forrest:quite right, Bart- the terminology has always been an issue here
  Annebeth Lange:So what then, do you mean with countries in your suggested list 1?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Agreement  from me on that Bart :-)
  Annebeth Lange:I agree strongly with Bart. RFC 1591 is the starting point.
  Annebeth Lange:No, it does not seem to work. COuld someone call me on 004795911559?
  Nathalie  Peregrine:of course!
  Heather Forrest:Thanks very much Nathalie
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I think it is important to stick to established facts ... thus term geopolitical might be better to ommit
  Annebeth Lange:Carlos, yes, but it is the starting point for the countries and territories. The names of the countries and territories have gotten their code FROM their name
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Annebeth is now on te audio bidge
  Heather Forrest:Thank you Nathalia
  Heather Forrest:Nathalie....
  Nathalie  Peregrine::)
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Jaap Akkerhuis has joined the call
  Heather Forrest:Carlos - old hand or new hand?
  jaap akkehuis:Apologies for being late
  Heather Forrest:got it
  Heather Forrest:Welcome, Jaap. Thank you for joining us
  Carlos Raul:old hand
  Carlos Raul:sorry
  jaap akkehuis:The ISO standard has a definition what a country and territory is
  Carlos Raul:agree
  Carlos Raul:country and terrotyt according to ISO
  Carlos Raul:no regions
  Carlos Raul:Olga is here in Costa rica...
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):in 3166 'areas of geographical interest' and do we use  'areas of particular geopolitical interest'
  Carlos Raul:but busy with other stuff
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):?
  Carlos Raul:I just saw her
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Mirjana Tasic has joined the call
  Heather Forrest:Welcome Mirjana
  Carlos Raul:2 or 3 letter
  Mirjana Tasic:Heloo, I am soryy I am late
  Heather Forrest:Lost me?
  Heather Forrest:Mute!
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):geopolitical is fine since it is used by ISO
  Annebeth Lange:And when new countries are created, they will get a new 2-letter code
  Carlos Raul:introspection by Heather
  Carlos Raul:talking so herself
  Annebeth Lange:And a 3-letter code, and a 4-letter code
  Carlos Raul:2, 3 and 4 letter representation
  Carlos Raul:right
  Annebeth Lange:And in my view, Carlos, they kind of identify the countries
  Annebeth Lange:I do not think new territories will be established - that is historical, probably
  Carlos Raul:iprefer the langugae of the ccNS
  Carlos Raul:O paper
  Carlos Raul:the codes REPRESENT country names
  Annebeth Lange:THat is OK, Carlos, as long as we agree
  Annebeth Lange:I agree, Heather
  Carlos Raul:we agree
  Heather Forrest:Carlos - would you suggest we discuss this under the heading 'two letter strings'?
  Heather Forrest:Instead of 'two-letter codes'?
  Annebeth Lange:As we have talked about earlier, we have had .com from the start. I do not think Jon Postel then took the Comores 3-letter code. In the beginning it was clear that this meant COMMERCIAL, and because of that, no confusion
  Carlos Raul:in the ptions
  Carlos Raul:options
  Annebeth Lange:The problems giving away the 2-letter codes not assigned, is that we then makes it impossible for new countries to have "THEIR" 2-letter code
  Annebeth Lange:I think we clearly should deal with that in the options paper
  Annebeth Lange:I agree, Carlos
  Carlos Raul:right
  Annebeth Lange:I understand, Heather, where we discuss the different solutions
  jaap akkehuis:When you start to talk about using non assigned codes one should really make a difference between top level domains amd further down the tree
  Carlos Raul:we are cler
  Annebeth Lange:I agree with Jaap
  Annebeth Lange:If Jaap, you mean that those not assigned could be "free".
  Annebeth Lange:That is OK, Heater, as long as it is covered
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):do we have wording for the situation of "new ISO code created ' and gTLD is already in use?
  Annebeth Lange:I agree, Heather
  jaap akkehuis:That is why one to make the difference between TLDs and below.
  Heather Forrest:I would assume that any of our recommendations as a CWG are conditioned on the current use of ccTLDs with a recommendation that this be reviewed at a future point if codes are used differently
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):with 4 letters ... it is not that simple ... how to estimate demand for new subdivisions ... country want additional detalization for some reasons ... totally unpredictable ... potentially blocks all 4 letters
  Heather Forrest:We are not in a position to guess at future ccTLD policy
  Heather Forrest:Whether something is confusing depends on its use - very difficult to pre-determine the outcome
  Bart Boswinkel:What makes it difficult are the IDNs
  Laura Hutchison:I would suggest that a precedent has already been set with countries using 2 letter codes as ccTLDs.  This is understood by the end user. If we set up provisions/ protections for countries to use 3 or 4 letter codes then firstly this would create confusion for the end user as some 3 letter codes are ccTLs and others are gTLDs; and secondly, it makes for a very restrictive system that allows ccTLDs a "bigger slice of the pie" as Annebeth just said.
  Carlos Raul:of course Annebeth, and we should be cleqr on that
  Carlos Raul:excellent
  Annebeth Lange:Thanks, Laura, I am happy that I am not the only one having understood it this way
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):could we refer to historical reasons to protect all 2 letters
  Carlos Raul:I agree with Maxim
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and only of existing 3 and 4 letters?
  Bart Boswinkel:No none
  Carlos Raul:but only the assinged ones
  Carlos Raul:all happy
  Annebeth Lange:Maxim, there is also political reasons to protect here
  Bart Boswinkel:Yes I am
  Annebeth Lange:Fine
  Carlos Raul:Hope I can go back to sleep.....good nite. Next time at 3pm my time please
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):thanks Everyone
  Ron Sherwood:Thank you all
  Bart Boswinkel:Bye all
  Laura Hutchison:Thanks. Bye everyone
  Heather Forrest:Thanks everyone - great progress
  Mirjana Tasic:Bye
  jaap akkehuis:By everymone, agan apologoes
  Nathalie  Peregrine:thank you!
  Heather Forrest:Thanks very much for all your support, Nathalie, Bart, Lars