[Ctn-crosscom] Next meeting

Young-eum Lee yesunhoo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:02:47 UTC 2015

All,

I agree completely with Annabeth that opening up two letter codes to allow
for the creation of gTLDs, even if they were operated as a closed network,
will change the structure of the system completely. Whether the unassigned
two letter codes have the possibility of being assigned or not is a
secondary matter.

I believe that there is a fundamental difference between the gTLD and the
ccTLD system. The protection of the two letter codes have historically
represented the recognition of the importance of the sovereignty of the
respective nations in cyberspace. Of course some of the ccTLDs are operated
more openly than others but the privilege to make such decisions lie with
the respective country.

I agree with the general sentiment that the gTLD space is an important
space and we should do as much as possible to encourage and support its
development. However, respect for the sovereignty of each country within
cyberspace is something that cannot be compromised. After all, the gTLD
space occupies ALL TLD domain space over 3 characters which is
exponentially larger than the two letter space.

Thanks.

- kind regards,
- Young-eum Lee

Young-eum Lee