[Ctn-crosscom] Comments on last conference call

Annebeth Lange annebeth.lange at uninett.no
Thu Nov 19 09:28:38 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am sorry that I couldn't participate in the conference call on Monday 16th. I had just returned from the US with the flu and was not able to do it. However, I have just read the transcripts and have some comments and suggestions.

Regarding the distinction or borders between our work and the work in the GAC WG I had a long conversation with Thomas Schneider in Dublin. The way I interpret his view based on this conversation and the letter at least he as the chair is of the opinion that our WG is dealing with country & territory names deviating from the ISO 3166 list, in all forms, 2-letter and 3-letter codes and country & territory names. This is based on the distinction that was made in the AGB, Module 2, chapter 2.2.1.4, section 2.2.1.4.1 - Treatment of Country or Territory Names. The concern of the GAC is that this chapter does not give enough protection for geographical names outside what is deviating from ISO 3166. Examples is .amazon and .patagonia. So they want to extend the protection for geographical names in this category.

See enclosed Module 2 for those who doesn't have it. Starting on page 2-16.

Regarding the metrology forward to try to sort out the input on 3-letter codes:

I agree with the points raised during the discussion. I want to refer you to a survey just received from CENTR Members. I enclose it, both as an input to the process, Lars, and also to have a look at the template Patrick Myles in CENTR Secretariat has made. In my view this format is clear and easy to understand and might be a pattern we could follow.

I would really like to hear your view on this.

Kind regards,
Annebeth

Annebeth B. Lange
Head of Legal and Policy