[Ctn-crosscom] FW: Updated StrawWoman Proposal on 3-character codes

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat Apr 23 18:06:32 UTC 2016

Dear All,

I have been following this group for quite some while but remained obviously silent. I have been engaged in geo-gTLD’s since November 2004; when Dirk and me started “.berlin”. I have also founded an applicant that went for a three letter new gTLD (the community applicant for .gay).

I am planning to create a true community multi stakeholder applicant for a three letter gTLD based on an ISO 3166 III code in the 2nd round; and write here in that capacity.  Reading your thoughts I can say that that string:

*         WILL be marketed as alternative to the corresponding ccTLD! And there is absolutely ZERO reason to deny such use, if:

o   The respective ccTLD operator is the RSP for the new string and

o   Hence agrees into creating its own “competition”

o   The relevant Government authorities agree in such usage as well

I think the litmus test is: What if a nation WANTS another TLD? What if UK said they want .eng Domains (no, I am not building a .eng) – and they WANT them in direct competition with .uk? Who are we to deny them their wish? Why not simply assigning the same principles as for geo-TLD’s: If the relevant Government authorities agree – then obviously they want it. Why would we DENY them that string? Same with the ccTLD competition: If the ccTLD operator is in agreement (e.g. because they are the RSP for the new string or for whatever other reason) why not allowing them to market it as “competition”?

Would a double opt-in by Government AND the ccTLD operator ease the concerns? Does the GAC even REALIZE that the “perceived protection” amounts to restriction in the end?

Sincerely yours,

Alexander.berlin