[Ctn-crosscom] Updated StrawWoman Proposal on 3-character codes

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sun Apr 24 23:12:31 UTC 2016

Dear Panos,

Thanks for your extensive and thoughtful response! You write:

Your case is interesting, but from your words is already implied that it's an ”edge case".

Well. “.berlin” in 2005 was perceived as “edge case” as well – now we have already 35 city gTLD’s and in the 2nd round some several hundred will follow. We actually had to lobby A LOT to convince the relevant ICANN circles that city-TLD’s aren’t the end of the world.

I just do not understand why we want to DENY Governments to create a certain TLD if they choose to. Why we would DENY a cTLD registry to market a TLD for WHATEVER purpose – would they chose to. To protect whom? That Government and this ccTLD operator? We protect them from themselves? We can create whatever rule we want – Governments and ccTLD operators should have the power to overrule them if THEY WANT.

Thanks,

Alexander.berlin