[Ctn-crosscom] Updated StrawWoman Proposal on 3-character codes

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Tue Apr 26 12:36:18 UTC 2016

Hi Annabeth,

You wrote:

“Annebeth: Alexander, do you mean that both the relevant government/public
authority and the ccTLD operator should agree?”

Well: If the alternative is to deny the constituents of a territory (the
ccTLD operator, a community applicant, the Government, etc) to apply for and
use in any way they fancy a ISO 3166 code then why not introducing as
“safeguard” the approval of the ccTLD operator? The country authorities
obviously need to sign off anyways. Some independent ccTLD operators (like
the largest one: DENIC eG with 16 Million domains – wholly independent from
the German Government) might fear that by creating a Government operated
“alternative” the independency is undermined.

And thanks for the .berlin compliments. Kudos to Dirk more than to me btw!

Thanks,

Alexander.berlin