[Ctn-crosscom] what next?!

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Mon Jul 4 15:06:10 UTC 2016

Hi group,

before this turns into a dialog between Timo and me:

Any suggestions or opinions on the points brought forward by Timo or me? Does anyone here believe that GAC would galvanize around the suggestion to elevate a small subset of 3 letter based TLDs to the official status of ccTLDs – while 99% remain open to become gTLDs (there are about 200 blocked 3 letter codes in ISO 3166 Alpha 3 – but there are over 17,000 three letter combinations in the alphabet). Is there any support in this group for the notion of allocating ISO 3166 Alpha 3 based three letter TLDs in the same way as ccTLDs? That is:

*         Without the submission of an application to ICANN

*         Without application fees

*         Outside of the main track in a wholly isolated silo

*         Without ICANN transaction fees

*         Without being bound to ICANN policy – instead only controlled (or not controlled) by the relevant Government?

What if Macau claims .mac – then starts a bidder war between Apple and Estee Lauder (cosmetics brand MAC) – and eventually hands over the TLD to the high bidder: No ICANN vetted restrictions or policy applying whatsoever? Keep in mind the examples of .co, .tv, .me, .md, .cc, .am and .fm as well.

Thanks,

Alexander Schubert