[Ctn-crosscom] ISO 3-letter country codes

Timo Võhmar timo.vohmar at internet.ee
Thu Jun 2 08:59:15 UTC 2016

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your comments! I think that making 3-letter country codes
available should be done outside of the next gTLD round and on the same
conditions at 2-letter country codes are now (
http://www.iana.org/help/cctld-delegation). This gives wider time range for
countries to make their plans and makes it more realistic to achive the
abitious plans of realeasing the rest on 3rd gTLD round. Setting some price
tag on the application that could but from our - small country and even
smaller registry - point of view is hopefully not set as high as the gTLD
applications, would help in avoiding delegations without no good reason.

I do not share your view on the seriousness of the problems you pointed
out.
"Countries" lacking interest on delegating 3-letter codes is good for gTLD
community and puts some substance into the proposal. Whether "the
countries" should have some saying on who gets the delegation of the
country code after the release for general gTLD registration is a subject
for debate. I do not see this absolutely necessary. But this can happen
only after "the countries" have had reasonable time to decide if they want
to user their priority.
I also think that it is not necessary or even smart for ICANN to attempt to
control the reasoning why anyone wants the delegation. Who is to decide
that Macao is too small to secure .mac for any other reason than denying
the option for the Apple.

Best Regards,

Timo Võhmar
Arendusjuht / Head of development

Eesti Interneti SA  / Estonian Internet Foundation
www.internet.ee