[Ctn-crosscom] Next Meeting

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Mon May 30 15:03:56 UTC 2016

Dear Sebastian,

all valid points but let's keep in mind: We are talking about territory
names (SPAIN) and ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 codes (ESP) and ccTLD's (ES).

You suggest that the allocation of a ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 code might "cause
user confusion and false association". So let me please divide this into two
real case scenarios. Obviously per the AGB the prerequisite to the
allocation of a 3166-1 alpha-3  code, but also the allocation of a territory
name (and in the case of the applicant I am initiating in the U.S. it is a
3166-1 alpha-3  code AND a territory name) is to have the relevant
Government's letter of non-objection! So you are talking about an applicant
who is in possession of such a letter of non-objection; because ONLY then
that application would be accepted by ICANN. Two case scenarios:

1.       The said Government is relatively incompetent and not aware that
the application is going to be confusing!

2.       The said Government is competent and decides that it intentionally
DESIRES an affiliation between the 3166-1 alpha-3  code and its territory
name,

I completely agree with you: ICANN should make law that keeps Governments
from unwittingly creating confusion for the Internet user and the ccTLD
operator!

Having said that:

I have in mind a few Governments that would have a SERIOUS vetting processes
in place - as well as excellent, unquestionable expertise. These Governments
would know PRECISELY what they are doing. They would WANT an association
between the new ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 code based gTLD and the country name! It
would be the whole PURPOSE of the exercise.

We (and the GAC) have now to weight between:

1.       "Protecting" Governments from doing smth that harms their and their
citizens interests

2.       Providing any competent Government to  exercise the "natural right"
to use its own name on the top level (I am talking about territory names)

So while I am all with you that we should protect Governments from damaging
themselves - what simple process could be added that would allow scenario 2
to become reality? And how will the GAC react, when we tell them that we
have to protect them from themselves - and can not allow them to decide each
by themselves for their own territory name (I am talking about territory
names primarily - like ".spain" - in some cases these are identical with ISO
3166 Alpha 3 codes). Protection is good - but quickly can extend to
overprotection - even Tyranny!

I am currently setting up individual meetings with relevant GAC members to
discuss this very issue with them as well. There has to be a way for a
nation like Spain to apply for ".esp" and or ".spain" - if the Government
agrees to it, and the ccTLD operator has no objection!

Thanks,

Alexander Schubert