[client com] Fwd: [CWG-Stewardship] Sidley Austin LLP

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:23:38 UTC 2015

Here is a response to my response.
---------- Forwarded messahttps://
www.icann.org/public-comments/ird-draft-final-2015-03-09-ge ----------
From: John Poole <jp1 at expri.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [CWG-Stewardship] Sidley Austin LLP
To: Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Robinson <jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com>, "
cwg-stewardship at icann.org" <cwg-stewardship at icann.org>, Jonathan Robinson <
jrobinson at afilias.info>

Greg:
My email was addressed to Jonathan, co-chair, not you. I made no specific
comments about you and I will disregard the ad hominem attacks you just
made on me. I am well aware of your contributions and work on behalf of
CWG-Stewardship. Nonetheless, I stand by my previous email. After you calm
down, however, I would also appreciate your responses to questions raised
in my previous email and also raised by your angry diatribe--when did you
first become aware that ICANN would be the client? Why did you not disclose
that to CWG-Stewardship until now?  You say I am wrong--do you acknowledge
that Austin Sidley does NOT owe CWG-Stewardship the duties it would to a
client under the California Code of Professional Responsibility? On what
basis under California law do you maintain that CWG-Stewardship cannot be
the client? This is the first time I have heard you issue that opinion--why
did you not inform CWG-Stewardship of your opinion on this earlier? You say
"These very issues were raised and discussed" --where? when? Why wasn't
CWG-Stewardship informed before now? Did you really think it was of no
importance to disclose to CWG-Stewardship that ICANN would be the client? I
find that hard to believe. I never said Austin Sidley is not a fine
firm--on the contrary, I have already said they are eminently
well-qualified. But if Austin Sidley is rendering advice to a non-client,
instead of a client, I believe that raises issues, and ramifications, that
needed to be fully, and timely, disclosed to CWG-Stewardship. -- John Poole