[client com] FW: Revised Community Agreement Draft: 08-05-2016

Hofheimer, Joshua T. jhofheimer at sidley.com
Sat Aug 6 20:55:53 UTC 2016

Dear Client Committee,

Attached please find a revised draft of the proposed Community Agreement for your review and comment.  This is an iterative version prepared jointly by counsel (Sidley) to the CWG and counsel to the IETF Trust to reflect the 7-point discussion items.  To be clear, it is still a work in progress, but we believe ready for the CWG to have an opportunity for review.

Two important issues to highlight:
1) the Names Community needs to determine who will be the signatory party, acting on behalf of the Names Community, to the Community Agreement.  For your information, the attached draft has the organizations put forward to represent the Numbers and Protocols Communities; and
2) we need a brief description of the IANA services to be provided on behalf of the Names Community.  The following high-level description was included in a draft of the Naming Functions Agreement.  If this is acceptable for including here is well, please advise (or we ask the Client Committee to provide a sufficient description):

The “IANA Naming Function” is comprised of:

(a)             Management of the DNS Root Zone (“Root Zone Management”);

(b)             Management of the .INT top-level domain;

(c)              Maintenance of a repository of internationalized domain name tables and label generation rule sets; and

(d)             Provision of other services related to the management of .INT top-level domains, at ICANN’s reasonable request and at ICANN’s expense.
Please provide any comment or feedback as soon as practical, as we are trying to finalize the draft for approval by the various stakeholders and release for public comment by Thursday.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Josh

Joshua Hofheimer