[client com] IANA IPR License & Community Agreement Template

Hofheimer, Joshua T. jhofheimer at sidley.com
Thu Jul 21 23:29:57 UTC 2016

Client Committee and Greg, etc. – We have accepted Greg’s changes and made a few further clean-up revisions.  For convenience we have included a clean and redline marked against the original draft sent to us.

Regarding the final changes:

·        we’ve deleted footnotes that have now become moot,

·        fixed the formatting,

·        edited footnotes per Greg’s comments,

·        moved a couple of Greg’s margin notes into footnotes (e.g., his query about IETF being an Affiliate), and

·        made a few text edits for consistency (e.g. changing unreasonably “denied” to “withheld” to be consistent with other parts of the document).

If the Client Committee is satisfied, I am happy for this to go to IETF so they can review in advance of our call on Tuesday.  We can discuss in the morning.  For me the most material issue, which impacts the document in several places is whether the IETF should have the unilateral right to assess or require changes in services, and terminate the license if unsatisfied with those changes.  As we’ve noted previously, we don’t believe that is appropriate, but will take CWG’s guidance.

I know we have a brief client committee call scheduled for tomorrow morning on IPR, so we can discuss this and any other issues, as well as next steps.

Cheers,
Josh

Joshua Hofheimer
Sidley Austin LLP