[client com] Change of location of PTI in Byalws

Flanagan, Sharon sflanagan at sidley.com
Wed Jul 27 20:37:07 UTC 2016

Dear Matt (with a copy to the Client Committee),

We discussed the question you posted below on the last CWG call.  Under California law, the principal office may be located outside of California.  It was suggested on a CWG call that we conform the PTI provision to the ICANN bylaws provision on this point.  We have included this proposal in the draft comment letter on the PTI bylaws which we will circulate shortly.

In terms of approving a future change to the principal office location, EC approval is not required for a PTI bylaw amendment to change PTI’s principal office.  Under the PTI bylaws, bylaw amendments require the approval of ICANN (as the member) and at least four of the five directors of PTI.  Any requirements under the ICANN bylaws for PTI bylaw amendments must also be met.  Under the ICANN bylaws, the EC has a rejection or “veto” right for certain PTI bylaw amendments, including a change from PTI’s status as a California nonprofit corporation, but not for a change to the location of PTI’s principal office.

If EC approval of changes to PTI’s principal office is something the CWG wishes to pursue, CWG could propose that the provision addressing PTI’s principal office be included in the PTI articles instead of the bylaws.  The EC must approve any amendment to the PTI articles, so moving this provision to the PTI articles would give the EC the right to approve any change to PTI’s principal office.   If that change is to be proposed, it must be included in the comment letter which is due July 31.

Best regards,
Sharon

SHARON R. FLANAGAN

SIDLEY AUSTIN LLP