[client com] Request for Sharon to attend CWG call on Thursday

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Wed Jun 15 14:44:43 UTC 2016

Sharon,

Grace is correct, we will walk through the proposed CWG responses to your questions of us relating to the bylaws (which we have tabulate for ease of reference).

But, we may need your input in the event of specific questions.

In addition, there may be some discussion about the structure of the PTI / ICANN relationship and the requirement (or not) for a contract or contracts.

In addition, there may be a question or two on the Annex C work.

Finally, we have a specific new question around the proposed secondment of ICANN staff to PTI. ICANN is proposing to provide all current and future staff to PTI under secondment.

ICANN has recently provided their rationale for such a structure (attached) and the questions that arise are:

1.      Does this raise any general concerns?

2.      We have had input via one of our members (copied immediately below) in which they raise a specific question has been raised.
We will appreciate your input on this.

“In the Sidley draft legal memo regarding PTI and ICANN (April 18, 2015), they say:

“This will ensure that the IANA naming functions is both functionally and legally “ring fenced” from the ICANN entity.”

The  proposed secondment of virtually all PTI personnel from ICANN appears to me to pose a legal risk that PTI would not be considered a separate corporation under California law. I suggest that Sidley be asked to look into this. ”

Thank-you,

Jonathan