[CWG-DT-Stewardship] FW: CWG-ICG meeting at ICANN 51

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Thu Sep 25 17:50:21 UTC 2014

Is it just me that doesn’t see a lot of value in the ICG open forum on Thursday in L.A. for those who have stayed abreast of the process.  I think it will be very useful for those who haven’t kept up on the details.  I don’t see it though as being a meeting where the real work can start.

In my opinion, the CWG is where the work needs to start and certainly it is fine for some side groups to contribute to this.

For the CWG, I think a process something like the following would be a reasonable and effective way to go:

1.       Describe all the steps in the current IANA processes for names.

2.       Identify the places in those steps where NTIA participates.

3.       Identify elements of NTIA’s role that need to be replaced.

4.       Brainstorm ideas about possible process replacements for NTIA’s role.

5.       Develop consensus positions on a revised process.

6.       Identify process points where accountability checks are needed.

7.       Brainstorm accountability check ideas.

8.       Develop consensus positions on accountability checks.

9.       Brainstorm ideas on how to connect the assurance of general ICANN accountability before the IANA transition happens.

10.   Develop consensus positions regarding 9.

11.   Write final report and deliver it to the ICG.

Of course there should be lots of interaction with the communities CWG members and observers represent as well as the general Internet population throughout the process.  That should be continuous using the representative structure of the CWG but there can also be formal opportunities for input such as public comment periods.

I plan to send this to the RySG for their discussion.  As the primary customers of IANA for gTLD names, the RySG has a very vested interest in this effort.  That is not to minimize all other groups but it is registries are directly impacted by IANA processes.

It sounds to me that what Alissa is suggesting is more of an outreach function and that is a very good role for the ICG.  In fact, that seems like a very good item of focus for the ICG open forum in L.A.

Chuck