[DT-F] Design Team F kickoff

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Thu Apr 9 01:16:19 UTC 2015

Jaap,

>I have heard, but David will of course correct me if that is an urban
>legend, that the IANA reports on significant changes such as
>(re-)delegations only after the change gets executed.

I believe that the IANA Function Operator treats all changes requests as
confidential until they are published (either in the root zone or the root
Whois database).  Obviously, IANA staff must verify change requests with
the appropriate designated contacts and things used to get a bit
complicated when trying to establish "local Internet community" support in
the case of redelegations (don't know if that has changed), but beyond
that I believe there is no disclosure by IANA staff of proposed changes.

(Personally speaking, given the databases in question are by definition
public and the requirement for openness, transparency, and accountability,
treating requests as confidential once validated never really made sense
to me, but I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on the Internet)

Regards,
-drc